Sunday, 6 October 2013

Blueberry lime swirl

I'm pleased to have this quilt on the wall....

And I'm in no doubt that without the finish-along it would still be folded in the cupboard.

I first decided to have this quilt off-centre, which I really liked.

But then my DH pulled a, 'is it meant to look like that', face. As it was going on the wall downstairs and he would be looking at it every day, I would rather he liked it too.

So after losing interest for a while, then considering using it to cover my upcycled chair..

I realised I would be disappointed if I didn't make it into the planned wall hanging. So, with the finish-along to motivate me, I dug out the fabrics I had put away and set about cutting and stitching.

But... the colours I'd chosen for the first solid square of green had ended up looking more duck egg blue than the lime green I'd used for the fractured section.

As I progressed, I realised I'd have to swap out those solids! I'm glad I did because I think it looks miles better.

I already had straight line quilting in mind, so getting started was straightforward. At this point I thought the design needed a bit of breathing space.

So I left a gap and then quilted some lines to echo the 'fractured' areas of piecing.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the result. The original design is from Quiting Modern and motivation provided by Leanne at She Can Quilt, and is my second finish.

Back to the pedal,


Quilt Info;82 cms square;Background,kona snow.


1 comment:

  1. This turned out so lovely. I had fun making this same pattern this summer.